Thursday, March 18, 2010

Celebrating St Patricks Day the Sober Way

Searching for the most atypical way to celebrate a much celebrated drunken holiday, I chose to call my soberest friend. She was always my party girl, and someone I could always count on having the best evening of my life with, and then she quit drinking. Through her recoil from the assiduous cries of her addiction, I found myself seeing life a little differently. I found that although getting a little pickled from time to time can help one relax, it isn't inherently the main ingredient for a good time

Our sober-fest was a blast, we relaxed at my friends house while telling stories of our most non-sober of evenings, some were funny some were actually sad and scary. We were all laughing at the funny stories probably all thinking to ourselves that this is why we drank in the first place, and for the not so funny of stories, I'm sure we were all thinking that this why we are choosing NOT to be drinking at this point in time. To drink or not to drink, but can we control it if we do? Now that is the question.

I am the type of person that gets sick after just a minimal amount of alcohol. I think its safe to say most people feel sick after an evening of too much drinking, but people probably seldom feel sick after an evening of too much not drinking. Could it be that our bodies weren't necessarily designed for this kind of toxic abuse?

It felt good to refrain from the substance for the evening, and to reflect and celebrate sobriety, self-control and bodily wellness. I knew I would be waking up feeling a lot better than some who had decided to to allow the green light for drinking overrun their sober mind. I was also pleased with myself to know that I can have a great time with my friends and in general without a need to poison myself first, during or after. "Be ye sober minded," not such bad advice after all, cheers!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can definitely relate.

Rebecca said...

*like* :)There are a lot of people in the world that can't have(or be) fun without being trashed. I'm glad you're not one of them! You can come have a sober fest with this prego anytime ya want. lol